Tuesday, October 25, 2011

White Bean Soup with Shrimp, Avocado & Cilantro

In order to keep my Cuban partner happy I have to find recipes that are filling but not over-laden with meat. Before I moved in with Jorge I was almost vegan, & enjoyed lots of sauteed veggies with brown rice! I was very proud when I was able to avoid cheese. Not so with Jorge, meat - especially pork - is pretty central in Cuban cuisine.

So...now that we are both eating healthier & on a tight budget the trick is to fool him with filling, economical dishes. I haven't made Jorge beans yet but as they are a staple in Cuban & Latin kitchens I think my meal of a filling white bean soup, topped off with slices of avocado & 1/2 pound of pre-cooked shrimp will be QUITE a hit.

For soups don't use canned beans. The legumes don't hold their shape & the results are more like porridge rather than soup.

Take one 14-ounce bag of Goya Great White Northern Beans, which you have quick-soaked according to directions on the back of the bag. Of course, after soaking, rinse & pick through for stones.

Into a heavy pot - I use my Le Creuset for everything, you'll discover!

Set burner on medium-high-heat then,
5 tbs of olive or canola oil
1 medium white or yellow onion, sliced very thin
4 cloves of garlic, smashed with a heavy knife & rough-cut

After 10 minutes, basically when the onion is caramelized, shake over 1-packet of Goya chicken bouillon - or favorite vegetable bouillon to season. Stir until well incorporated. Then add in 6 cups of water, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Then reduce to simmer, leave lid cracked & keep on the stove for an hour. Remove lid, stir, & add in 2 tbs of fresh cilantro, adjust for seasoning add in 1 teaspoon of sea salt & several grates of black pepper. I like my soup rustic. You can blend all of the soup, but I suggest only pureeing half of it, especially if your partner feels cheated without meat & needs something to "bite into."

Take 1 medium avocado, cut in half, & cut into chunks. Place a desired amount onto the top of the soup. Season pre-cooked shrimp with juice of 1 lime & place on the beans for decoration. As you can see, the colors of the beans, avocado & shrimp all come together to be very pretty!

Serve with a nice, chilled white wine, such as a Sauvignon Blanc or a light crisp beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment